Review: Defiance by C.J. Redwine

. . 14 comments:

Title: Defiance 
Author: C.J. Redwine
Series: Defiance #1
Pages: 403 (hardcover)
Publisher: Balzer +Bray
Genre: Young Adult fantasy/ Science Fiction
Theme: Dystopian/ Romance
Release:  Aug 28th, 2012
Author's website: http://cjredwine.blogspot.in/p/books.html



Within the walls of Baalboden, beneath the shadow of the city’s brutal leader, Rachel Adams has a secret. While other girls sew dresses, host dinner parties, and obey their male Protectors, Rachel knows how to survive in the wilderness and deftly wield a sword. When her father, Jared, fails to return from a courier mission and is declared dead, the Commander assigns Rachel a new Protector, her father’s apprentice, Logan—the same boy Rachel declared her love for two years ago, and the same boy who handed her heart right back to her. Left with nothing but fierce belief in her father’s survival, Rachel decides to escape and find him herself. But treason against the Commander carries a heavy price, and what awaits her in the Wasteland could destroy her.

At nineteen, Logan McEntire is many things. Orphan. Outcast. Inventor. As apprentice to the city’s top courier, Logan is focused on learning his trade so he can escape the tyranny of Baalboden. But his plan never included being responsible for his mentor’s impulsive daughter. Logan is determined to protect her, but when his escape plan goes wrong and Rachel pays the price, he realizes he has more at stake than disappointing Jared.

As Rachel and Logan battle their way through the Wasteland, stalked by a monster that can’t be killed and an army of assassins out for blood, they discover romance, heartbreak, and a truth that will incite a war decades in the making.


~~NO Spoiler~~

My POV:


“Silent acquiescence in the face of tyranny is no better than outright agreement.”  

Let's see The CheCk LIsT:
  • Independent, feisty,  Kiss-ass red-vibrant-headed heroine (Obviously) --- Check
  • no-nonsense, genius-Young-inventor, fighter-like-prince-of-Persia, body-like-Channing-Tatum, heart-like-romeo Hero --- Check
  • A distopian world-building --- Check
  • Side intriguing characters --- Check
  • A tyrant who you want to kill with your bare hands --- Check 
  • Storyline ... Ummm I liked it so --- Check
  • A gorgeous cover with detailing --- Check
The narration is divided almost equally and alternatively between Rachel Adams(Heroine) and Logan McEntire (Hero Hottie) so it helps in better understanding the both sides of the story which did keep me hooked. World-building is pretty good. It is a balance of predictable-unpredictable plot. Baalboden, the society in which the most of the story is set is Patriarchical, Women needs to have a Protector and can go out under their surveillance. If women defies then there are severe consequences. In a way it is misogynistic society. It reminded me of the male dominating societies still existing in 21st century.

... I’ll tell you that hope is precious, and you’re right not to give it up.”
“Even when it looks like everyone else already has?”
“Especially when it looks like everyone else already has.”


Such simple words but has so much depth that I can write a whole essay about it. It made me stop for few minutes and ponder... 

 "His knives are nice. Mine is better.” 

 So our heroine, Rachel , as mentioned is independent, feisty, and a very good fighter, courtesy her dad Jared, who made her a survivor. She doesn't favor pretty clothes and make up, she favors sharp weapons. she is not a diplomat but believes is showing what she feels.. Rachel, being impulsive made some bad decisions and it made story more riveting.

I’d rather combine every element on the Periodic Table and take my chances with the
outcome than humble myself before the Commander.
 It doesn't take a genius to know that these are Logan's lines.


What will happen if all the elements of periodic table are combined, Global annihilation? Mass destruction? Voice of science? or ... umm.... I automatically started combining all the elements of Periodic table (mentally of course) ... and ...well ....It's not practically possible so leave it to that =D.

About our hero, Logan, there is more to his past then he knows himself, I like his geeky mind (being an engineer myself), and his funny sarcastic remarks. He always analyze the best/worst scenarios in his head, being an inventor and all he likes to see the situation from all angles, it gave more detail to the his character.


“But I won’t fail you in this, Rachel. No matter what has happened. No matter what you’ve done.
 No matter what you will do. I will always love you. I swear it.”

Romance between Logan and Rachel is nice cute but not out of the box, a little predictable. I hope it gets more exciting in the next installment.
I could Sum up the whole story in couple of lines, it is bit of a problem though I see a lot of potential in the story, hope the graph gets steep in the next one.

"...I won’t have to see the vicious fury on her face and hope that by giving her what she so
 desperately wants, I haven’t destroyed more of the girl I love."



3 1/2 hot coffee cups, enjoy!!!


Rachel


14 comments:

  1. Hi!
    I am really looking forward to reading this book. I have heard such good things about it.
    Thanks for stopping by my blog and following.
    I am already following you via GFC. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Atmika ... it's nice to see an Indian!!!
      Yes it's a nice book!!!

      Delete
  2. Hey Ankita..!
    Saw your message on BookBlogs.
    Following you via GFC. Follow me back @ http://readingwithanacrasia.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a good story. I'm following now.
    http://jennyjofaypaperdolls.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review! and thanks for the add! im glad your enjoying my story!
    New follower!

    http://thecrossbreeds.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review!

    Hi, I found you via goodreads and I'm a new follower
    http://bookwormmia.blogspot.com/

    -bookworm Mia

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved all the quotes, Ive been hearing awesome things about this book and can't wait to read it! Awesome review :)

    -Kaina @ These Flying Pages

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Ankita! I saw this on BlogLift and I really like how you write your reviews:) just followed!

    manybooksmanylives.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

~ COFFEE @ BOOK WORLD~

Your Travel Guide

I also scribble on:

Make a change
My other blog where I pen down short stories, Poems, articles and Random stuff...

Total Pageviews

Rating System◕‿◕

5 coffee cups- Loved it absolutely.
4 coffee cups- Liked it a lot.
3 coffee cups- Liked it.
2 coffee cups- Okay
(plus, minus).5- You are smart enough to deduce yourself :).
* STARBUCKS coffee cup- In love with it. Abso-freaking-lutely.
DISCLAIMER- If you don't like coffee, change it with your fav. drink.

Blog Archive

Wonderful Followers

Linky Friends

Your precious words

❤ ☞

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
Ankita has read 7 books toward her goal of 75 books.
hide

2012 Reading Challenge

2012 Reading Challenge
Ankita has completed her goal of reading 150 books in 2012!
hide

Memberships

Twitter

Registered at ©

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected
Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Protection Tool

Popular Posts

About us

Popular Posts